SportsSpout

Where our spout offs about sports are spot on!

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

More Maddening

I just entered half a dozen brackets in several different places online: Yahoo, ESPN, CSTV, etc. Including one of my usual office pools -- haven't heard from the other one back in Pennsylvania yet -- what about it Dave? I'm always good for donating my money to yun's.

So who did I pick? I haven't watched so much as half a game of basketball all season. They've pretty well ruined for me; remember when basketball was a non-contact sport? Sheesh! At least the 3-point shot is still in play. But with the clock and full body blows it's not the game it once was. But enough of my peeves.

As usual I picked the Atlantic Coast Conference teams to win at least their first round games -- not a big stretch since they mostly ended up favored. I pushed Maryland, a 4-seed, through to one Final Four, and since the committee graced North Carolina with a #1 slot I have pushed them through to St. Louis on most cards. Maryland, with D.J. Strawberry, looked good for the few minutes I watched them a couple weeks ago, with proud papa Darryl looking almost respectable in the stands.

What about upsets? I listened to John Feinstein on NPR and went with Winthrop (11) over Notre Dame (6). I hate to cheer against the Irish but you got to make a stand someplace. I also tended to disfavor SEC teams when things get close, mostly because if the upset happens it should give me a nice edge in the office.

One of my alma mater's is actually in the tourney this year: VCU; but as they are facing Duke straight off I couldn't give them a sentimental nod.

Well, let's get started. It's the only sporting event on TV that comes close to living up to its hype, even though these days I'd rather be watching women's soccer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home